The name says it all: with a non-stick pan, you don't have to worry about your food sticking to the pan. Whether you are frying an omelette or preparing a delicious fish dish, a non-stick pan will help you cook effortlessly and it is also easy to clean. This ease of use makes it an ideal companion for home cooks.
What is a non-stick coating?
The non-stick coating of a non-stick pan consists of a combination of polymers. A commonly used polymer is PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene), also known by the brand name Teflon. PTFE has non-stick properties and is resistant to high temperatures.
Advantages of a non-stick pan
- Easy cleaning: the non-stick coating allows food residues to easily slide off your pan. This means you need to put less effort and time into cleaning your pan.
- Even heat distribution: most non-stick pans are made of aluminium. And aluminium is well known as a good conductor of heat. As a result, you won't have hotspots in your pan and will heat your dishes evenly.
- Healthy cooking: you need less oil or butter when cooking in a non-stick pan. So very healthy!
Non-stick pan maintenance
If you want to extend the life of a non-stick pan, it is wise to consider the following:
- Avoid high temperatures: non-stick pans often withstand heat well. Still, it is wise to avoid overheating. This is because extremely high temperatures can damage the non-stick coating.
- Wash your non-stick pan: some non-stick pans are dishwasher safe. Instead, it is wise to wash your pan by hand to prolong its life.
- Avoid metal utensils: do not use metal spatulas, tongs or other metal utensils. These kitchen tools will scratch non-stick pans. And you would rather not get these loose bits of non-stick coating in your food.